Monday, May 2, 2011

MK Davis

So our journey begins at a local tradition unlike any other... MK Davis. MK Davis is located at 1302 North Flores street near downtown San Antonio. MK Davis has been a food staple of San Antonians since 1957, serving everything from seafood to chicken fried steaks and most importantly CRISPY DOGS!


When you arrive at MK Davis you are instantly greeted with a sense of yesterday. The decor at the restaurant is like a time warp to my parents house when I was growing up there. Wood paneling and velvet wallpaper cover areas of the place, while probably outdated, it makes me reminisce of my childhood. The furniture is basic but again a point of interest for me, big heavy hand engraved chairs adorn the matching wood tables. This place is also lit with neon signs promoting various beers and logos of the 4 time NBA Champion San Antonio Spurs.













 Now on to the most important part, the food...

I was not alone on my first adventure, I was dining with my girlfriend Megan this evening as this was her first experience at MK Davis. She ordered the fried shrimp plate while I kept it simple and ordered the chicken fried steak. But the real reason I chose to dine at MK Davis is the crispy dogs...

What is a crispy dog?



A crispy dog is a beautiful thing in its simplicity, basically it is a hot dog, filled with cheese, rolled in a corn tortilla and deep fried. Thats it, nothing more... It is served in an order of 3 with a side of yellow mustard. They are delicious and they are the reason I go to MK Davis on a semi-regular basis. This is a must have if you attend.




Now on to my chicken fried steak.

San Antonio has many options as far as good chicken fried steaks are concerned, and if you follow this blog in the future you will see a few varieties here. Im pretty picky on where I get them so if you see one on here, trust me I must like it. MK Davis offers this with the standard fries and cream gravy combination as most places do. One reason why I get this item here is because the gravy and chicken fried steak mix well. Some places salt the breading and salt the gravy as well, to me this makes for an over salty not so good meal. Here it is the right amount of salt on both. Again a very solid chicken fried steak that I will come back and enjoy many times again. Megan liked her fried shrimp platter too.



One thing I am going to add to this blog is a rating system, this is totally a personal opinion that will rate service, price, and overall satisfaction. I will keep it simple and grade it on a standard school rating. So for my review on MK Davis this is how I see it...

Service: B+ The place is constantly busy, and I understand that the waitstaff is always busy too. They really do the best they can given the fact that they are slammed from open to close.

Price: A+ Great value for the dollar, huge portions for a great price. The schooners are very well priced as well. I dont drink much anymore but I know a good beer value when I see one.







Overall Satisfaction: A Again, my favorite place for crispy dogs, great value and fair service make me come back every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment