Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Pluckers Wing Bar




Tonights entry takes us north of San Antonio to San Marcos for a visit to Pluckers Wing Bar. Pluckers is a wingery that is unavailable to us here in San Antonio, but is worth the drive up IH 35 to San Marcos for a visit.


The idea of Pluckers started back in 1991 by two guys that couldn't find a good "wing" place in Austin while attending the University of Texas. After a few years of research they opened their first location in 1995 and havent stopped making what are in my opinion the best wings around since.

How I discovered Pluckers.


On a trip home from Dallas after attending a sneaker show, my friend and I, Jake Danklefs decided to try something new. He and I drove past this place on the way up to Dallas and I had remarked that I wanted to try it. Little did we know that it would be a place we would become quite familiar with in the months to come.

The "Monthly Wing Meeting"

After Jake and I discovered Pluckers, we had to spread the word. We told some friends about this place and what they had to offer. We also told them of the all you can eat special every Monday from open to close, I think that is what swayed their decision more than anything. After the first trip our friends were hooked and the "Monthly Wing Meeting" was born. The first Monday of every month we head up north to get our "wing-on".

Atmosphere

As most wing places go this one fits right in, this location is themed by Texas State University decor since that is the major thing going on in town. Flat screen televisions playing everything from the NBA Playoffs to NHL Playoffs and some early season MLB are all around. Pretty typical of most places like this.




Wings



The way that the all you can eat special works out is that they start you out with 20 wings and the option of two flavors. Pluckers carries the regular wing flavors like mild, medium, and hot along with a slew of specialty recipes such as Lemon Pepper, Dr. Pepper, Sesame, and Cajun. The wing sizes are large comapred to other places I have tried which is a good thing. Is not satisfying to pay a price for wings and have small amounts of meat on them, these are quite the contrary. For tonights selections I started with the dry rub Cajun flavor and experimented with a new sauce called Spicy Lemon Pepper. I have had the Cajun in the past and it is one of my favorites, good seasoning with not a lot of spice which makes it easy to eat. The Spicy Lemon Pepper is a new flavor that was added to the menu this month combining the Buffalo Medium sauce with the Lemon Pepper. The heat factor was good with a strong lemon punch at the end, I liked it and will probably order it again. After I finished the first 20 wings I got a refill of 10 with my favorite Sesame sauce. The Sesame is right out of a Chinese restaurant complete with the seeds sprinkled atop the wings. The others at my table tried the new Garlic Parmesan flavor and while not terrible they both commented that it wasn't their favorite. Other flavors that were seen at our table were Honey BBQ and the mustard based Goldrush.




Sweet Tea

Another great thing about Pluckers is their sweet tea, served in a mason jar it is another great thing about the place. The sweet tea is some of the best you will get outside of your grandmas kitchen. If you go, get it, thats all I can say.




Grades

Service: A+ My mason jar of sweet tea is never empty, even on the busiest of nights, food is served to you in a VERY timely manner. I have never had a complaint there, ever.

Price: A All you can eat wings for $14.99, a deal any day...

Overall Satisfaction: A+ Great atmosphere, a TV playing sports at any viewing angle, fast service. all of those things earn a high score with me

For more information about Pluckers, visit their website at www.pluckers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment